Star Anise Illicium Verum
Evergreen tree with a long and slender white trunk, it can reach 12 meters in height.
Its star-shaped fruits, of organic Vietnamese origin, are distilled in a current of steam by us in Santa Bianca, giving a pale yellow essential oil, with a warm, sweet and spicy fragrance.
Quantity: 4 ml
Distilled: Santa Bianca
Internal use: Yes
Natural flavoring for food
11 in stock
Star Anise (illicium Verum) is a plant used for over 1300 years in traditional Chinese medicine, a fundamental spice in the kitchen and the bearer of a message of joy.
The Ministry of Health recognizes its beneficial effect on the nose and throat; it thins bronchial secretions. It has digestive function and regulates gastrointestinal motility. Carminative.
For aromatherapists its properties are many: antispasmodic, antiseptic, stomachic, digestive, aperitif, carminative, stimulant, and sedative.
It is used in aromatherapy as an effective remedy against bronchitis, coughs, and colds as it is a good mucolytic.
It is considered by naturopaths to be a digestive and antispasmodic, it acts on the entire gastrointestinal tract, promotes the elimination of intestinal gas and is effective against bad breath. Due to its sedative and astringent function it is effective against nervous diarrhea.
For aromatherapists, thanks to its astringent properties, added to a green clay mask is useful for oily skin, it is used as an ingredient in remedies against oily hair, itching and dandruff.
It’s a very important spice in the kitchen. Diluting the essential oil in a fat (EVO oil or butter..) seasoning your dish at the end of cooking, and adding it to your juices, syrups, jams .. it is such a versatile essence that it will be very useful for preparing exceptional recipes. Star Anise essential oil is the basis for the preparation of Sambuca. You could try making your own liqueur by mixing it with alcohol, sugar, and water.
In Psycho-Aromatherapy it is considered an essential oil linked to happiness and joy, it teaches to laugh and to disinhibit.
- Diffuser: 2/3 drops in 100ml of water.
- Fumigations: a few drops of essential oil emulsified in salt in hot water. Keep your eyes and mouth closed.
- Bathtub: 8/10 drops of essential oil emulsified in coarse salt, milk, cream, or honey in hot water (to prevent the oil from evaporating).
- Massage: we recommend diluting 1/3 drops of essential oil in a tablespoon of carrier oil (or cream).
- Culinary use: we recommend 1/3 drops of essential oil in 100 ml of food to be flavoured and added at the end of cooking, mixed with a seasoning. (We suggest to always start with the lowest recommended dose, to possibly increase the drops in the future).
Warnings: do not use in case of chronic diseases, during pregnancy, during breastfeeding and in small children. Beware of people with blood sugar problems and hypertensive subjects, because it increases the absorption of glucose and sodium in the kidneys, with an anti-diuretic effect. In high doses, star anise has narcotic effects, causing brain disorders. It also slows down blood circulation. All information and suggested uses are taken from Aromatherapy manuals. If in doubt, consult a doctor / pharmacist.